The North Euston Hotel is another of Decimus Burton's designs, opening in 1841.

The North Euston (as its known in the town) derives its name from the time when there was no direct rail route from London to Scotland along the west coast. Travellers would have to alight at Fleetwood and take the sea ferry to Ardrossan and then travel by rail to Glasgow. The construction of the railway over Shap Fell in the Lake District in 1847 ended this sea/rail link.

In 1859 the North Euston was bought by the War Department and became the School of Musketry for officers. The school closed down in 1867 and it became officers' quarters for the garrison of troops located near the cemetery.

The North Euston has had a chequered history, but in 1991 it reopened to great success after being bought by a consortium of local families.

Its also possible to get married at the North Euston Hotel.

The North Euston's Gardens are a source of relaxation to many, and is always used for providing rides and amusements on Tram Sunday

The Obelisk was "erected by public subscription to the memory of James Abram and George Greenall who lost their lives in the storm of November 1890 whilst heroically endeavouring to save others".

The stone in front of the Obelisk reads: "In memory of all who have lost their lives at sea. dedicated on 19th May 1985 by Admiral Sir Desmond Cassidi GCB


This stone shows the Land and Sea Operations of the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway Company at Fleetwood, circa 1875. 

(Presented to Fleetwood by Fleetwood Civic Society, 1976)


The boundary stone of the Preston and Wyre Railway company commemorating the First Train from Preston to Fleetwood on 15 July 1840

(Recovered by Fleetwood Civic Society, March 1987)


Home ] The Town ] Seafront ] Lighthouses ] Tram Sunday ] [ The North Euston Hotel & Gardens ] Decimus Burton, Fleetwood's Architect ] Fleetwood in Winter ] Businesses ] Travel & Accomodation ] Recreation & Pubs ] Fleetwood HomePages: Home & Abroad ] Contact Us ]